Education Article for your Kids and make understanding for best school

Powered by Blogger.

Project Euler

My colleague from the computer science department at Contra Costa College, Tom Murphy, thought I might enjoy some more math problems, and pointed me to Project Euler. Here's their intro:
Project Euler is a series of challenging mathematical/computer programming problems that will require more than just mathematical insights to solve. Although mathematics will help you arrive at elegant and efficient methods, the use of a computer and programming skills will be required to solve most problems.
My programming skills are a bit rusty, so I'm starting with purely mathematical problems. The first one I did is:
If we list all the natural numbers below 10 that are multiples of 3 or 5, we get 3, 5, 6 and 9. The sum of these multiples is 23.
Find the sum of all the multiples of 3 or 5 below 1000.
[I asked for the problems to be listed in ascending order of difficulty, and this one came up first.]

I figured it out, and used my calculator to do a simple multiplication and addition problem at the end. The 'forum' discussing this problem had lots and lots of programs listed. I was shocked people would ask a computer to solve this one.

I decided to do one a day. This morning I checked the next two and figured I'd at least want to use Excel on them, although I bet there's an elegant way to solve each of them without it. The fourth problem was once again simple enough to solve in a minute, with my trusty TI-83 doing my multiplication.

It looks like a nice set of problems to challenge students with. Thanks, Tom.

Share :

Facebook Twitter Google+
0 Komentar untuk "Project Euler"

Back To Top