Education Article for your Kids and make understanding for best school

Powered by Blogger.

Black and Red TripleMatch: A Card Game for Adding Integers

I saved Ben's post on this idea, and now I've used Kate's idea for turning his problem into a card game. I've added scoring and some rules of play.

Background
My Beginning Algebra course (community college) has an 'hour by arrangement' associated with it, and I intend to have lots of content-related games available during that time. During our first week, we'll be reviewing. [I decided I like the acronym FIDO for all of the important pre-algebra concepts that students usually have trouble with: fractions, integers, distributive property, and order of operations. FIDO is a math student's best friend; if the FIDO skills are learned well, they will faithfully help with algebra work. I hope I'm not being too silly...]

So for the first week I want fraction games (I have a game book with a deck of cards, called Fraction Jugglers, that we can use) and integer games. I know they like card games. So here's Kate's game, elaborated.



Red and Black TripleMatch


Use a regular deck of cards. 2 to 5 people can play. (More people could play with a double deck.)

Card values
Ace = 1
Jack = 11
Queen = 12
King = 13
Black cards are positive numbers, red cards are negative.
Joker changes the sign of the card it�s played with.

Play
Dealer shuffles and deals out 8 cards to each player, and then lays down three target cards in the middle. Your goal is to match each target separately. On each turn, you discard a card and draw a card from the discard pile or the deck, and then discard.*

When you have all three targets, say �Triplematch!� and lay down your cards in 3 piles for the other players to check.

If you'd like to lay down cards to match one or two piles before you've got all three, you can do that. (It could make the final match harder - those cards may not be changed after being laid down.) The advantage is that you have less cards in your hand to count against you if someone else wins first.



Scoring
  • Winner gets 30 points.
  • Everyone else counts all cards in their hand for negative points (reds and blacks both count negatively at scoring time).
  • Game ends after each player has had a turn to deal. High score wins.



I�m excited about this game, but I think it might need some tweaking. I�ve just dealt myself a few hands. On the first, I only had to discard and draw once to make TripleMatch, so I thought it might be too easy. On the second, I had to draw 26 cards. Now I�m thinking it might be too hard. Does anyone have any ideas for making the triplematch easier?

If you try it, please let me know how this game works for you.



_____
* Drawing first increases your chances of a proper total dramatically.

Share :

Facebook Twitter Google+
0 Komentar untuk "Black and Red TripleMatch: A Card Game for Adding Integers"

Back To Top