Education Article for your Kids and make understanding for best school

Powered by Blogger.

Day One of Class: Beliefs About Math

I'm starting my countdown - the first day of class is in 25 days. This is actually my first time starting out a semester as a blogger! I'm excited about all the changes I plan to make, and a little nervous. I'll be posting lots of my plans and materials here in the next few weeks, to share and to get feedback. Once the term starts, I'll rejoin the ranks of classroom teacher bloggers.

Carol Dweck's research, on how people's mindset affects their ability to learn, seems powerful to me. And I want to share it with my students in a powerful way. I thought I had seen quizzes on this, but hers only has 4 questions, that to me all sound pretty much the same. So I mixed that question in with some math belief questions. I plan to give this 'quiz' to my students on the first day of class.

I'd like a tenth question. Got any good ideas? I'd also like feedback on the other questions. This parallels my list of math myths - it's just framed a bit differently. My goal is to get students to realize that the way they've seen math up until now has been skewed, and gets in the way of learning it. I also want them to know that if they can really commit to this, they can change their relationship with math dramatically.




Beliefs About Math and Learning


This is set up as a quiz, but it won't be graded. Think of it as one of those magazine quizzes that you do for fun. After you complete this alone, we'll vote to see how many believe each statement is true versus false, then you�ll talk with your group about it.

T F 1. I'm not good at math, so I can't expect to do well.

T F 2. It�s genetic, men are better at math than women.

T F 3. Intelligence is fixed � it can�t be changed.

T F 4. Math is mostly about memorizing.

T F 5. Intuition and creativity are not useful for math.

T F 6. It�s bad to count on your fingers.

T F 7. There�s one right way to do a math problem.

T F 8. Math ability is fixed � it can�t be changed.

T F 9. To learn math, I need to focus on getting the right answer.

T F 10.

Share :

Facebook Twitter Google+
0 Komentar untuk "Day One of Class: Beliefs About Math"

Back To Top