Education Article for your Kids and make understanding for best school

Powered by Blogger.

Math Without Words, by James Tanton

Way back in the spring James Tanton kindly sent me seven of his books to review.  Ever since then I've been trying to look them over thoroughly enough to do a good job reviewing them. I think I'd better do the reviews one at a time, or I'll never get to it. The books are so full of goodies it might take me years to feel like I've looked them over properly.

You may have noticed a few interesting sheets of puzzles in the video of my math salon. Here's one:




These came from Math Without Words, a compendium of 75 delightful puzzles. Each puzzle has one or a few sections that are filled in to show show the puzzle works. Then there are more sections ready to be thought about and puzzled over. The puzzles get you thinking mathematically in new ways, and range from easy enough to engage five year olds, to hard enough to stump the grownups.

Folks at the math salon really loved these puzzles, and I think you will too. You can buy a print copy of the book for $27.50 or download an electronic version for $19.50. Both are available at Lulu. I just now bought the electronic version, so I can more easily make copies for the groups I work with.

That first puzzle may look too easy. But for young kids it really is a great puzzle. Here's another puzzle we enjoyed at the math salon:


And I'll leave you with a more challenging puzzle that we haven't tried at the salon yet:


If you'd rather have a dozen of the puzzles in wall calendar form, that's available too. Next up for review is Thinking Mathematics, Volume 1: Arithmetic = Gateway to All.

Share :

Facebook Twitter Google+
0 Komentar untuk "Math Without Words, by James Tanton"

Back To Top